318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   WTB 4.44 LSD Diff. - what and where? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22556)

netsfr 06-23-2008 08:39 PM

WTB 4.44 LSD Diff. - what and where?

Well, my open differential in my 96 has started to make a hissing noise at speeds over 25mph. I jacked it up and went under to find out what's making it, and I think its the front bearing in the diff, but it may be more inside the diff.

Question #1: Whats the expected lifespan on BMW diffs in a 318ti?

Question #2: Since I think I need to replace it, now is the time to "UPGRADE" to an LSD. What fits, and where are good places to get used or new ones from? I somewhat regret to say I have an automatic (although its nice to be lazy sometimes), so I think I need a 4.44 ratio.

I searched around and see different posts about 4cyl Z3 diffs fit, and maybe E30's, and other E36's, but some of the post get sidetracked or get detailed into having to work in new shafts that dont fit. I want something to bolt right up with out a bunch of re-engineering to mate something else in there.

Thanks in advance for the help!

thesk8nmidget 06-23-2008 09:09 PM

only ti e36 diffs will fit.

e30 diffs fit and also z3's

there has been a few people to upgrade to a different ratio for auto and have been fine with acceleration.

best bet is to try and find another member here that has done the auto to manual swap

netsfr 06-25-2008 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info.

Although I wish I had a manual, I don't want to get way in over my head cost wise or modifying it so that its not as good as it is now (other than the noise from the diff its almost like a new car). What's generally involved with swapping out the auto for manual (I guess it is a bit costly, a little hard and will make some bad words come out during the process)? What about the computer and ODBII? Is it just a matter of replacing the trans or do I need to make sure I get computer and whatever from the car the manual was in?

netsfr 06-25-2008 03:56 PM

You say only ti diffs fit, but you also say e30 and z3's.

Will a LSD from an e30 or z3 bolt right in with no modifications or were you putting those on a different line to indicate that they will fit with some work? Just want to make sure as I am searching around and don't want to buy something that won't fit or is not worth the effort to make fit if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help again :-)

thesk8nmidget 06-25-2008 04:02 PM

check out this thread
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2559

and i said that the only e36 diff that will work is the ti, and z3
ie. the e36 coupe and 4 doors and convertibles wont.

the e30 diffs will work they are just a tight fit.
that thread will explain everything

96cali 06-25-2008 04:15 PM

I would venture a guess that the easiest new open diff to find will be a 4.?? from a Z3 or 4.44 from a Ti. All manual Z3's came with LSD after sometime in '97 I believe. I know that's true for the 2.8 and above, not sure about 1.9's. Post a Q in the Z3 forum on bf.c, they're pretty friendly and fanatical.

You may also have to look to a larger more powerful sedan like the old e28 5 series, but not sure what older models came with 4.?? LSD's. Look for a chart of older diffs in one of the threads, I think in fact Sk8 has posted it B4. Pretty sure these work but you would need new axle and stub shafts right?

Chime in here someone...

thesk8nmidget 06-25-2008 04:24 PM

this is pretty old but here are older models and what they have
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3...rentialch1.jpg

again just check out that thread.

with an e30 diff you can actually use your flanges and axles.

but its better if you can score e30 axles as well

Bluebimma 06-25-2008 04:28 PM

If you cant find a nice 4.44lsd get a 4.10lsd from an e30 m3. Itll bolt right up since its the same sized diff as our stock ones unlike the larger 6cyl e30 diffs.

Kohote 06-26-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebimma (Post 181337)
If you cant find a nice 4.44lsd get a 4.10lsd from an e30 m3. Itll bolt right up since its the same sized diff as our stock ones unlike the larger 6cyl e30 diffs.

Are you sure about this? I have heard that bmw beefed up the drivetrain for the m3 and went with a medium case diff. I believe it would be possible to fit a medium case diff in the ti but there would be a lot more work and parts involved. I am not questioning your knowledge or anything but I would like to find out for sure because there is so much varying info out there.

Bluebimma 06-26-2008 12:40 AM

Hmm, i guess the m3 does use the 188 gear set unlike the 168 gear set that the 1.8/9s have. Nevertheless, 188 gear set diffs can be installed in our cars using our output flanges and axles, i did a write-up on it.