318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   My Fuel Pump died today. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28066)

Will'sBimmer 09-15-2009 07:07 PM

My Fuel Pump died today.

Well my fuel pump decided to pass on today. Lucky me the car was parked in my driveway. It all started last night when I got in my car and tried to turn it on. Well it acted like it was going to start but then died before idle. I tried to crank it once more and it died again before idle. So I tried a third time and it started up and was running fine. Well after I got to my destination and let it sit for maybe 15 mins. When I turned the key to the second position I could hear what sounded to me like the fuel pump making a weird deep humming noise. I cranked the car and it started and ran fine. This morning on the way to school I could still hear this weird deep hum but the car cranked up on the first turn and I went to school. Now after class the pump didn't make the noise and started just fine. But once I got home and let the car sit I tried to start it and once again I could hear this deep hum but the car died before idle and ever since that I can't hear any noise from the fuel pump and it won't start period. No matter how many times I try. I checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it looked fine. I replaced it and still no change. I haven't looked at the relay but I suspect that the pump has just quit since it was making weird noises. I am waiting on my dad to get out to my house so we can hook a battery up to the fuel pump itself and see if it working or not. I searched and found a new pump on pelican for 173 but my dad says he can get one from a 318 convertable that is at his body shop. What do you guys think?

Will'sBimmer 09-15-2009 07:12 PM

I just checked and it looks like the part numbers are different for the TI and the 318i. It looks like the fuel pump is Ti specfic. Is this correct?

Bills86e 09-15-2009 08:50 PM

Paul at 727-423-2174 has one!

Will'sBimmer 09-15-2009 10:34 PM

Ok so I don't think it is my fuel pump anymore. I hooked it up to a battery and it worked just fine. But my car will still not start. Does anyone have any ideas or could shed some light on this problem please.

spidertri 09-16-2009 12:06 AM

Have you changed the fuel filter recently?

Will'sBimmer 09-16-2009 05:24 AM

I haven't changed the fuel filter once since I have had this car. But I have a brand new one sitting in the garage and was reading on here about how sometimes a loss in fuel pressure can be the result of a bad or old filter. So tomorrow since I don't have work or school I am going to work on the car all day and change the filter. I will update as much as possible and hopefully be able to get pictures up to help anyone else who may have this problem.

michaelross 09-16-2009 08:18 AM

Hi there. It happened to me once before and I have already checked on the fuel pump but the mechanic said that the filter had to be changed. And after that, the car was doing good again.

Bills86e 09-16-2009 03:57 PM

When you are put the pump back in, leave the return line off
in a position it will return the gas into tank. Crank engine over,
and if you get a lot of flow, the fuel pressure regulator is bad.
That means a loss of fuel rail pressure and no fuel into engine.
I hope this helps.

spidertri 09-16-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer (Post 244434)
I haven't changed the fuel filter once since I have had this car. But I have a brand new one sitting in the garage and was reading on here about how sometimes a loss in fuel pressure can be the result of a bad or old filter. So tomorrow since I don't have work or school I am going to work on the car all day and change the filter. I will update as much as possible and hopefully be able to get pictures up to help anyone else who may have this problem.

I read in the 101 Projects for the 3 series book that you are *supposed* to change the filter every 12,000 miles or so, basically every year. Hopefully that is your problem since it is an easy fix.

Will'sBimmer 09-16-2009 08:42 PM

Thank you guys for the help and all the input. Means a lot to me when people are trying to help. I put the fuel pump back in a few mintues ago and hooked it all back up. I tried to crank the car and it didn't start. Well I didn't give up and tried it one more time and she turned right on with no hesitation or problems. :biggrin: I am a happy but still think that I need to change my fuel filter so I am waiting on my brother to get here so he can help me change this thing. I will be posting up soon when we get done and let everyone know how things are going. But it sure feels good to get the Ti running especially since I have school tomorrow.

Mallard 09-16-2009 10:01 PM

ive heard sometimes a bad earth connection can be responsible for it not clicking over ?

Will'sBimmer 09-17-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallard (Post 244498)
ive heard sometimes a bad earth connection can be responsible for it not clicking over ?

Where is the earth connection? Are you talking about the battery ground? Or somewhere else?

On a side note I could not change the fuel filter today due to large amounts of rain but will attempt to change it tomorrow after class but before work. Here in a few I will drive up to Wal-Mart and make sure everything is still working right.

Will'sBimmer 09-17-2009 04:30 AM

Well I drove the car to Wal-Mart and left the back seat off so I could hear the fuel pump good. And when I started it from my house the pump made the weird humming noise again but started on the first try. Now after I got out of the store the pump didn't make the noise at all and also started on the first try. I am not sure what is going on but like I said I will be changing my fuel filter either tomorrow or Friday to see if that helps.

Bills86e 09-17-2009 03:59 PM

The ground is on the passenger side at mid engine and attaches
to the body wheelwell lug. Look down next to battery box
and strut tower at corner near engine. I buy a gallon of tuluol
$17, and mix 1 part to 5 parts gas, in a bowl and cycle the
mix tru the fuel pump and that cleans all the varnish and rust
out and my pump works 100% better! I run about 8-10 min.
You can get Toluol (Tululene) at hardware or paint stores.
I have never found a chem that is better! Bill

Will'sBimmer 09-17-2009 06:32 PM

So one gallon to 5 gallons of gas? Can I mix it in a gas can or does it have to be a bowl cuz that is a big bowl? Or are you saying mix just a little bit of the Toluol to five parts gas? Thanks for the help also. :)