318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A bit of help needed (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30549)

ProjectTiCS 05-15-2010 10:44 PM

A bit of help needed

So my first question is, How much should a wrecked 97 M3 go for? It is a boston green m3 4dr with 37k on the clock. The body, frame and two wheels are scrap. Good bags and all of the tasty bits are ok (front suspension, engine, tranny, cooling system, front axles, driveshaft and diff.) The car is complete and not missing a thing. The interior looks good, very dirty but no cracks or tears. I'm kind of looking for what anyone would offer as well as what anyone might ask for it. I have a 95 ti that is up for sale but would keep it if I can get this M3 for a decent price. Any help on pricing this M3 would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get pics of the car to help give a better idea. Again this is a complete 97 M3 with 37k. Thanks ahead of time for any help or ideas.:confused:

bamaland 05-15-2010 11:26 PM

if i read this correctly, the body, frame, and 2 wheels are totaled out (not repairable?)

so your basically buying it for what every interior is good and the drivetrain..(given the wreck didnt break anything in trans or motor?)

if you can hear the motor run and the trans goes in all gears i'd give $650-700

if you cant hear anything run or see work, $250-400 tops..

then again thats just how the gulf coast pricing here works.

tiFreak 05-15-2010 11:34 PM

I'd say it should go for more like $2-3k assuming everything runs fine, I'd think the above prices would be more appropriate for a non-M E36

bamaland 05-15-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 271033)
I'd say it should go for more like $2-3k assuming everything runs fine, I'd think the above prices would be more appropriate for a non-M E36

ya'll crazy lol. the car is scrap. but hey what do i know.. i am only on my first bmw.

im thinking about buying a 92 525 sitting down the street he only wants $300 for it as-is problem is unknown.

2-3k for just a motor and transmission is way out of question in my eyes!

tiFreak 05-15-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamaland (Post 271035)
2-3k for just a motor and transmission is way out of question in my eyes!

M stands for money :tongue: I've never actually bought an engine myself, I'm just going by what I see on the forum

bamaland 05-15-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 271036)
M stands for money :tongue: I've never actually bought an engine myself, I'm just going by what I see on the forum

different areas are priced differently, he's in pa so his pricing should go around what mine are compared to the ny or cali prices you see in the fs section.

when buying a wrecked car your doing exactly that, not buying a motor or transmission.. your buying a car for scrap.

lysergicsurfer 05-16-2010 02:16 AM

You must have no idea what a M3 is? Wrecked m3's easily fetch 2 to 5k depending on the condition. The motors can at a the very least go for 1500 and up to 3k for a low milage perfect motor. Yes 92 525's go for 300. It doesn't have much to do with where you live. Cali cars go for a bit more than east coast. But not 10 times like you are suggesting.

You can part out a wrecked m3, completely totaled, and get at least 5k for the parts. Unless it was on fire or something....

He is buying a wrecked car for the motor!! Not for scrap!

And for the OP, an s52 with 37k miles... You've struck gold my friend.

cooljess76 05-16-2010 02:47 AM

I paid 3k for my '98 M3 donor with driver's front body/suspension damage. It had just over 100k miles on it, everything was immaculate. I removed the motor, tranny and all parts needed for my swap and set them aside including an almost new RE DMS exhaust. Then I sold everything else on bf.c, craigslist and ebay. Even after setting my parts aside, hooking up friends and letting some stuff go for dirt cheap, I still came out doubling my money. The door panels alone fetched me 500 bucks! The big ticket items are those parts that are unique to the M series. Bumpers, moldings, seats, steering wheels, wheels(if OEM), diff, suspension, brakes etc, that stuff sells quick and fetches top dollar if you clean them up and list them correctly. Don't forget about all of the Ti parts you'll have leftover if you do a swap. I could've made much more off of this stuff if I didn't hook all of my friends up. Parting out M's makes for a nice supplemental income. There's a couple e36 M3's here locally for under 5 grand, I'm thinking of buying another one just to part out on the weekends and it's not even wrecked! That means that I'd have an entire car worth of parts to sell including a motor and tranny. S50/S52 motor & tranny swaps typically sell for 3k.

Oh yeah, any black interior parts sell quick too. Everyone wants black interiors and everyone wants their 325/328 to look like an M3.

lysergicsurfer 05-16-2010 04:18 AM

^ That is a very good example of the value of these cars.

THAT318 05-16-2010 06:35 AM

u guys are crazy 3 grand for a motor and tranny.
i found a motor for 1900 right now in a phx junk yard.
and a trany for 250... yes a 5 spd m3 tranny for 250.
car-parts.com shows you what every junk yard has around you and around the country.

ProjectTiCS 05-16-2010 09:26 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. Keep 'em coming. I hope to have pics up soon for everyone.

THAT318 05-18-2010 08:00 AM

id say an m3 with a fubar body but good motor and interior is worth a good 3000.
and im sure its a good investment, as people always want ///M stuff in their cars. what wheels are te back two that arent bent? im sure you can make a pretty penny off them too.