318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Front wishbones replaced now my steering wheel is off centre (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27906)

666 toe 08-27-2009 05:57 PM

Front wishbones replaced now my steering wheel is off centre

After my baby failed it's mot due to my front wishbones being shot ,i got them replaced and passed woohoo:smile: my steering wheel is off centre to the right and pull's to the left a little when driving in a straight line.So i took it back to the garage and they said everything was fine and the front wheel alignment was spot on and to drive it for a couple of day's to see if improves then if not they would swap both front wheels round??any idea's people :confused:

mohaughn 08-27-2009 06:22 PM

Did they check the rear alignment? You can't make changes, but they should have at least checked it. It is very common for our cars to get a rear thrust which will cause the car to pull to one side, or you may have to cock the steering wheel a little bit to make it drive straight. Rear alignment does affect how the car drives.

666 toe 08-27-2009 06:37 PM

Im thinking it may have been aligned with the steering wheel just off centre?But ill ask him about the rear alignment when i go on friday..

FLJayson318 08-28-2009 03:23 AM

my car needs an alignment bad to... i have to hold my steering wheel a little to the right cause it pulls left so bad... i wonder if its the rear messing with me

cooljess76 08-28-2009 03:36 AM

Is your car lowered? If so, that's why the steering wheel is crooked. You should be able to easily adjust it from the steering box on the front of the steering rack.

666 toe 08-28-2009 01:23 PM

No it's not lowered jess but it's on 18" wheels which he said caused the damage to my wishbones :eek: .Ive not got time to go back to the garage untill monday to get it fixed.But the car drive's really well now just the annoying steering wheel off centre and pulling to the left slightly ...

spidertri 08-28-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 242529)
You should be able to easily adjust it from the steering box on the front of the steering rack.

Can you explain that a little more Jess? Is there a screw that can be turned or something? Do you turn it in the direction opposite of the steering pull?

campaiar 08-28-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 242543)
Can you explain that a little more Jess? Is there a screw that can be turned or something? Do you turn it in the direction opposite of the steering pull?

Just pull the steering wheel of and reinstall it. Much much easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaughn (Post 242451)
Did they check the rear alignment? You can't make changes, but they should have at least checked it. It is very common for our cars to get a rear thrust which will cause the car to pull to one side, or you may have to cock the steering wheel a little bit to make it drive straight. Rear alignment does affect how the car drives.

What rear adjustment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 toe (Post 242542)
No it's not lowered jess but it's on 18" wheels which he said caused the damage to my wishbones :eek: .Ive not got time to go back to the garage untill monday to get it fixed.But the car drive's really well now just the annoying steering wheel off centre and pulling to the left slightly ...

I have fixed driver feedback issues by rotating tires before. What do you have to lose? Its free and it takes 10 minutes.

mohaughn 08-29-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

What rear adjustment?
You tell me.

Benji 08-29-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campaiar (Post 242598)
I have fixed driver feedback issues by rotating tires before. What do you have to lose? Its free and it takes 10 minutes.

Please note if you have direction specific tyres, this will not work.