318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   330ci front brake upgrade (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37885)

BlackBMWs 02-01-2013 05:03 PM

330ci front brake upgrade

For those of you who upgraded their TI front brakes to E46 330ci front rotors and calipers.

Aside from the rotor, caliper, carrier, brake line, sensor wire and pads, was there any other components you had to swap out? i.e the dust shield? No other detail on searches.

I'm renewing a set of 330ci calipers now, just thinking ahead. FYI - I run 525i calipers in the rear. Thanks! :cool:

m44lee 02-02-2013 11:30 PM

dont know if its the same with us motors
but in the uk we fit the uk m3 master cylinder and servo as without this the pedal travel is too long!

BlackBMWs 02-03-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m44lee (Post 344809)
dont know if its the same with us motors
but in the uk we fit the uk m3 master cylinder and servo as without this the pedal travel is too long!

Thanks! I'll do a little more research. Cheers! :cool:

islandtime 02-04-2013 12:49 AM

You do want the master cylinder because the travel does increase. Just pay close attention to the master cylinder because there's two main types, one has an M12 line and an M10 and the other has two M10 lines like all the rest of the E36's. If you get the one with 2 M10 lines its a straight bolt up replacement, if you get the other then you need a changeover line which is available from BMW for about $8. The exact part number is in the 330 brake swap thread on Bimmerforums. The dust shield is a good thing to get but you can trim the edge of yours a bit and it will work fine.

BlackBMWs 02-04-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtime (Post 344843)
The exact part number is in the 330 brake swap thread on Bimmerforums

Do you know where the thread is? No luck finding the thread. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------

Update: Looking for a M3 Master and Servo this morning. Still looking for a DIY. I'll write one if I can't locate one. Thus far I have:
  • 330ci calipers, pads, clips and carriers
  • Piston and guide rebuild kits
  • Replacement rotor retention allen bolts
  • StopTech SS lines
  • ATE Blue
  • Gold caliper paint (Black body)
The front brakes wil be under a pair of Style 68 wheels. The rear 525i caliper, carriers and clips will be removed and painted as well.

I'll pick up an E36 M3 master cylinder and servo.

Miss anything? Thanks! :cool:

BlackBMWs 02-06-2013 08:57 PM

Picked up a M3 servo, master cylinder and resevior for the upgrade. I picked up the master with identical fittings.

Anyone know of Servo swap DIYs?

Thanks Garrett, M44Lee and Islandtime! :cool:

BlackBMWs 04-07-2014 04:44 PM

M3 Servo and master swap into a 97 318ti

A DIY to swap the stock brake servo and master from a M3 is coming up on my list of items. Has anyone come across a M3 Brake servo swap DIY? Does anyone know if the installed dimensions change in the engine bay? I have a DASC to install and didn't know if the new brake configuration will get in the way of the DASC hardware.

I have the 330 calipers, rotor, pads, rebuild kits, M3 servo, master and reservoir. I have already swapped my front brake lines to SS replacements and will do the rear lines when I swap diffs hopefully this weekend. I will replace the ATE blue I have in the system now when I do the system.

I will confirm my M3 master is the same brake connector size as my existing plumbing.

I've searched a few forums and have not come across one.

Thanks! :cool:

BlackBMWs 05-11-2014 04:58 PM

Bump. Brake booster swap DIY anyone? Thanks! :cool: