318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another EWS issue (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44169)

LouM... 03-12-2018 07:10 PM

Another EWS issue -SOLVED

Hello all. It's been awhile since I've posted as everything has been going great with the Ti. Well, something is broken. And with hat in hand I am coming to the gurus for assistance....

'97 Ti, Auto, 122K miles
So, I replaced the plastic coolant pipe that is located under the intake. The pipe cracked (luckily) in the driveway. So no engine damage.
After putting everything back together, the car started and ran perfectly. Took it out to see if it was running as before. Everything was fine. Then the temp slowly crawled up to 3/4. I pulled over and let it cool and started again and bled the system thinking that there was an air lock in the cooling system. The temp dropped and and all was well. Made it home.
Turned the car off and waited for it to cool to refill the radiator. When I tried to start it.... Nothing!!! All warning lights initially come on as normal. But when I go to "Start"... Nothing. The lights do not dim as they normally do when the starter engages. Which tells me there is a possibly an electrical issue unrelated to the now repaired cooling problem.
Put the Peake tool on it and now shows that there is an EWS error. WTH???? Checked all fuses. They're good. I cleared the code. And tried again. Still dead. Tried a second key. Still dead.
Appreciate any ideas or suggestions on what to check next.
TIA

LouM...

paul somlo 03-12-2018 11:52 PM

Is the solenoid clicking? Regardless of the EWS error, I would start probing for voltage at the starter/solenoid and checking electrical connections. It's possible that when you put the intake back together, that you didn't adequately tighten all the lugs at the starter/solenoid.

LouM... 03-13-2018 01:22 AM

Nothing at all. No clicks. Nada.
I will check that area though. Interesting that it started and ran a couple of times after the coolant pipe replacement. Then nothing.

Thanks
LouM...

740isport 03-13-2018 12:57 PM

Though you found an EWS error (if you have access to DIS then resync EWS to be certain) it sounds more like a bad connection at the starter or simply a bad starter. These starters do die without warning sometimes.

LouM... 03-14-2018 10:32 PM

Starter is dead. I guess the slight overheat finally killed it.
My GF's daughter has been driving it for awhile and I have just been maintaining it. I was taking it to be smog tested when all of this happened. After I told her that it was the starter, she mentioned that a couple of times recently it wouldn't start. So she let it sit for a few minutes and then it would start. Never mentioned it to me. :mad::mad:
I need to talk to her more frequently about this car.
Thanks to all that offered assistance. What a great source for the Ti.

LouM....