318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   front wheels are shaking the car when braking (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33371)

34s2104 04-25-2011 05:52 AM

front wheels are shaking the car when braking

1 Attachment(s)
lets start from the beginning.

when i bought this car (1996 318 ti) it was reconstructed was in bad condition.

when i was driving straight it was pulling left or right i dont remember exactly and while turning left or right it was shaking whole car very badly.
then i starting fixing the issues i could find. replaced right and left lower control arms, front brake rotors and pads, control arm mounting bushings, replaced 4 wheels and tires. i left it to a garage for alignment.

i asked to the mechanics there before alignment if i need to replace something else, they said everything seems to be perfect.

when i left the garage it was driving smooth. but the other day i realised one more problem.

the problem is :
you are driving with 50 mph, then you start to brake softly, it shakes for 3-4 seconds and stops shaking after that.

i m sure that rotors are ok. (i replaced them again problem continiues)
i m sure my tires and wheels r ok and balanced ( i have winter and summer tires with wheels)
i m sure my pads r ok ( i changed them several times but nothing changed)

and it feels like especially left wheel is moving back and forth when i start to brake and it stops moving after 3 seconds while braking softly.

any suggestions ? or somebody else having the same problem ?

pdxmotorhead 04-25-2011 06:01 AM

Ball joints or tie rod ends, if you've checked the run-out on the rotors with a dial-indicator.

Dave

34s2104 04-25-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 299259)
Ball joints or tie rod ends, if you've checked the run-out on the rotors with a dial-indicator.

Dave

thx the rotors are just replaced a few days ago with the pads again not because of this it was time for change again.

but my left tie rod end has a little space i feel it but mechanics say its ok.

my other cars before had tie rod end problems but it was causing a space on steering wheel. but i never heard about shaking. i have the parts to replace. it must be something special for these cars ?

if you recommend replacing them, i ll, but i want to finish it until tuesday and i dont care about the money i put on this car so if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

thank you.

1996 328ti 04-25-2011 04:05 PM

Sticky caliper pins?

Mr.Squeelerz 04-25-2011 05:11 PM

Control arm bushings could be garbage.

1996 328ti 04-25-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Squeelerz (Post 299292)
Control arm bushings could be garbage.

He already replaced them.
When my bushings were shot the steering wheel only shook under moderate braking.

Another time I had shaking with lightbrake pressure after rotors warmed up was a slight crack in the rotors. OP already replaced rotors.

familytruckster 04-25-2011 08:26 PM

Could be rear brakes...if it's something you feel in the brake pedal.

Have the upper strut mounts and struts been replaced?

I would replace all the bushings on the car if they haven't been done. Rear subframe and control arm bushings, and diff mount.

Could just be a few different things happening.

JustinH 05-10-2011 03:41 AM

You have a caliper piston seizing. Next time it happens get out of your car and go to both front wheels. The one that's smoking, or smells like something's burning is your culprit. Just replace both and be done with it.

34s2104 05-13-2011 03:27 AM

thx to all,

caliper piston seizing sounds possible the only thing is it does not smell or smoke.

but i m sure now i have problems with the calipers they make noise alot these days

nothing is missing but both rattle i tried replacing pins, stretching anti rattle clips and the metal things back of inner pads but they keep rattling

is there any way to check if the caliper pistons are ok ? or are you sure after these descriptions the problem is certainly the pistons ?

Marv17 05-13-2011 04:14 PM

i would say its your bushings. happened to me as well. the control arm bushings might be shot and the tie rods as well. make sure the struts are nice and tight on top as well.
then check your rotors to make sure they aren't warpped.