318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exhausts (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   de-chroming exhaust tips? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24911)

tiFreak 12-24-2008 02:12 AM

de-chroming exhaust tips?

so I'm going to be the guinea pig and buy the apexcone catback off DDM tuning, it won't be installed until spring but I was wondering, since it has chrome tips and I'm going for a completely de-chromed look for my car, is there any way to refinish the tips for a matte finish? I know paint will come off and I can't really think of any other way to do it

spidertri 12-24-2008 02:29 AM

Sweet, I have had my eye on that exhaust but every time I talk to Jim he says they are not in stock yet. Although they are supposed to be in the "next shipment" but for DDM that always seems to mean a month or more.

Have you seen the pictures of the 6 cyl tips? I don't think they look too bad as is.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5&postcount=59

Would you rather they be black or something? Maybe get some high temp paint and go that route or possibly powdercoat the tips.

cooljess76 12-24-2008 02:36 AM

DEI and Thermo-Tec both make high temp paints rated up to 2000 degrees. I just bought a can of silver Thermo-Tec for my headers. I'm actually using it as a topcoat on my header wrap. They have all sorts of colors available including matte black. Also FWIW, your local hardware store carries a high temp product by Rustoleum that is made for BBQ grilles. I'm almost certain that the muffler tips won't get as hot as the headers, so it should work fine. Your other option would be to have the tips sand blasted, but I think you might have issues with corrosion.

tiFreak 12-24-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 208486)
Would you rather they be black or something? Maybe get some high temp paint and go that route or possibly powdercoat the tips.

I was thinking more like matte silver, Jess, good info, I guess I'll be going around all the local hardware stores at some point

dave45056 12-24-2008 04:03 AM

Black wrinkle paint it... ftw.

By the way I am in such need of a catback... my exhaust hit new volumes today. I called DDM, too. But with no info on the sound on a ti, I am pretty iffy. Especially since they have no stock and hadn't sold a single unit yet.

Keep us posted on the fit and put up a sound clip when you get it installed.

tiFreak 12-24-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave45056 (Post 208498)
Keep us posted on the fit and put up a sound clip when you get it installed.

will do, just read this on BF.C

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leif E. Bronn (Post 15080964)
You can call in and put your name in, leave a CC# on file and we will call you the week they will be available.

Please do not order them on the website, it will charge you immediately and I can't stop it.

Jim

good thing too, I was just about to order one tomorrow :lol:

ATF 12-24-2008 04:23 AM

You could always get a wire sponge or something and just go at it with a certain stroke/pattern and dull the chrome look (basically scratching the crap out of it)

minicoop900 12-24-2008 04:28 AM

yeah, on my stock exhaust i cut the tip to make it look after market then i polished it and didnt liek the chrome look so i took some sand paper and just started sanding and it came out to more of just a bare metal look instead of a chrome/polish.

also, did you know factory cat backs are stainless?

Maverix 12-24-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATF (Post 208502)
You could always get a wire sponge or something and just go at it with a certain stroke/pattern and dull the chrome look (basically scratching the crap out of it)

Lol I was just about to suggest that :tongue:

cooljess76 12-24-2008 05:57 AM

Here's the stuff I just bought. I guess it's only rated 2000 degrees if used on their wrap. I don't understand why the paint itself is only rated at 1200 degrees? I mean 2000 degrees is 2000 degrees right? Anyway, I'm using it to coat the header wrap as well as spraying it directly onto the flanges to protect them from corrosion. If it burns off, oh well:rolleyes:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/Cimg2698.jpg

rustbucket 12-24-2008 02:31 PM

I would also prefer an exhaust tip that is black but can't justify spending $20 on a new chrome one then beadblasting the chrome off(I don't think any paint will stick well to chrome)Does anyone sell black stock looking tips or cheaper chrome ones?Or have a used rusty one they'd be willing to sell cheap?

spidertri 12-24-2008 02:37 PM

Do you want this for your stock exhaust? BimmerBum sells a black "tip" that goes over your stock exhaust tip. I believe it is a BMW factory part.

rustbucket 12-24-2008 04:04 PM

Thanks for the "tip".Exactly what I had in mind.

aceyx 12-26-2008 06:30 PM

Chrome is a fat female dog to get off. One of the best ways I've found is to take something sharp like an awl and scratch a line down the center repeatedly until you hit metal. After that, use a thin scraper to chip off the plating.

tiFreak 12-26-2008 08:43 PM

I guess it would depend on if it's actual chrome or just polished stainless