View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #29
Fred

The booth pictures look a lot like the bottom floor of AAPEX in Vegas.

I work for an automotive parts distributor that deals with Asia on a regular basis. Be wary of what the reps tell you...been there, done that. Like any salesman, they will tell you what you like to hear, show you a shiny sample, then explain that they can make anything you want. There are a small few companies that will work with you to make a good product. The best of this pool are also OE suppliers to BMW, VW, and GM China. They have the metallurgy down, the manufacturing consistency and tolerances are perfect, and the QC is just as good as a supplier from Bavaria.

However, the vast majority of companies have QC that's all over the map and have no clue what metallurgy means. I've seen turbos poorly glued together that have separated under high temperature, sending bits of impeller and shaft back in the engine and causing catastrophic damage. Guess who eats that? The manufacturer sure won't. That leaves you or the end customer.

I mean, if the kit is proven and reliable then that's great, but the reason I mention this is because you say you're going to school to be a doctor. I'd hate to see a student that's going through enough pressures and stress having to deal with the kinds of problems that I've seen at work.

Bottom line: Know your supplier!

www.strictlyeta.net
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote