View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
budget76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
As far as I know ALL 318ti's have an EWS chip inside the key. My '97 and '95 both have chips in the keys. I've opened them and verified it. This is still a good deal on the key blanks though. Can you open them to install a chip or is it molded together?
Hmm, interesting. I just had one made, and it worked just fine. Maybe mine was disabled somehow during the engine swap, I dunno. All I know is it started the car fine I doubt you can open them up, but i'll look. Got to get to bed asap, so pics will come tomorrow or Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchicano318ti View Post
I would just go to the dealer and pay the $65 with the chip. But still a good deal for blanks.
Had no idea they were only $65 at the dealer. I know my parents spent like $75-80 on their spare Z3 key, and on a 98 saab it cost them like $100 a key.

And like Philly said, if you look at your key, it's VERY different than a normal key. The machine the guy used actually takes a laser image of the key, detects worn down sections, and makes it back to factory. Pretty cool.
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.