View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #158
bwjulson

Thumbs up Best thing BMW ever built! The 318ti

I have an Alpine white '96 318ti with the "Active" package. Options included the onboard trip computer, sunroof, remote keyless entry, and the Alpine 6-CD sound system with 10 speakers. It has the 5-speed manual transmission, and color-keyed rocker panels. I bought the car in 2003 with 56,000 miles on it in Coronado CA for only $9,200. I have kept the car bone-stock except for a K&N air filter which was already there. . . It's a hoot to drive, too. The car now has 125,000 mile on it, and has NEVER had single mechanical malfunction of any kind! It still has the same radiator, water pump and head gasket, power steering pump and rack, same clutch, fuel pump, alternator, etc. that came new with the car. The only problem I have encountered so far was a droopy headliner at 100,000 miles, (which I replaced myself) and a troublesome driver's side window regulator, which I had rebuilt by a BMW dealer. I was recently told by my mechanic that front suspension bushings and motor mounts may be ready for replacement in the next year, but are not gone yet! I have put one battery, one ICV valve and two sets of brakes in the car since I've had it. All around the BEST car I've ever owned (2nd BMW) and I've had 22 cars in my 57 years. Simplicity is what makes this car so bomb-proof! A few of the BMW bells and whistles are present, but not enough to become headaches as the car ages. Simple, fuel efficent 4 cyl engine that regularly gets 28-32 avg MPG. The secret to it's longevity is the complete maintenance regimen I maintain. ALL fluids get serviced on time, which makes a HUGE difference in reliabilty. I'm keeping this one til I can't drive any more.
bwjulson is offline   Reply With Quote