View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #27
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
I think the logical route to identifying the problem is to check the alternator output as indicated by measuring battery voltage as you turn on the electrical components, i.e. headlights, wipers, and heater fan. If the alternator output is okay the battery voltage will remain constant. If the battery voltage drops as you turn on additional accessories then check output at the alternator as described by cooljess76. If the output on the alternator is good then the next step is the starter. The wires from the alternator are connected to the solenoid on the starter, which is why several people have had a starter replacement resolve their problems. You may want to try cleaning the connections on the starter/solenoid, if the car fails test 1 but passes test 2, to see if it helps. Otherwise it would be starter time (major pain to replace). Good luck
The starter solenoid shares a wire with the alternator. It's just a common connecting point or junction between the battery and the alternator. The alternator doesn't power the starter, the battery does. This is not a starter issue, it's a charging issue. I get the possibility of bad windings in the starter solenoid. This is not a starting problem! If it were, the battery would still charge completely once the car has ran for a while.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING? WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A CHARGING SYSTEM ISSUE?

I wish the OP could just slap in a fully charged battery and start the car, that might finally shut people up

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-30-2009 at 10:26 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote