View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAT318 View Post
that seemed kind of sarcastic. it wasnt. they are nice lights your a lucky new owner. oh and jess, how hard was it to make the lights like that? is there a D.I.Y on this? i think they are neat and wouldnt mind changing the cluster color on the e39 530 my dad might be giving me.
I spent over 5 hours soldering and scratching my head. The LED's focus light in one direction rather than spread it 360 degrees like the regular bulbs. So I had to wire 12 LED's throughout the entire cluster vs. the 3 regular bulbs that normally illuminate it. Basically I wired 4 LED's and resistors per bulb socket to acheive adequate lighting of the gauges. It took several trial and error attempts on my part to finally figure out where the LED's needed to be placed within the cluster. On top of that, there was an orange backing on the backside of the gauge faces that needed to be removed. This part is so delicate, the slightest mistake could easily ruin it.

It's such a painstaking process, I didn't do a DIY because I didn't want everyone to screw up their clusters.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote