Thread: M44 overheating
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #35
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
Tell you the truth, i did not have any problem bleeding the system. I just filled the radiator reservoir to the brim with the bleeder open. Closed the bleeder and put the cap on, run the engine, turn on the A/C and put the thermostat to hottest, bring the engine up to temp, then shut it off.
Leave it off overnight and let it cool down. The following day, the reservoir is empty, then just filled it back up then put the cap on, run the engine with the heat full blast, bring it up to temp, then shut it down to let it cool down. Once cool, check the reservoir level and just a little low, filled it up to the mark, turn engine on with heat on full blast, temp stayed halfway on the gauge but the fan never cycled ON/OFF. The fan was a different story though.

On the water wetter, you are only supposed to used that on pure distilled water with no glycol. I don't want to run on pure distilled water and water wetter so i opted for the glycol coolant.
That's not the proper method of bleeding the system. While it might have worked for you(perhaps you think it worked), the proper way is to park the vehicle on a hill or incline. With a cold engine, start the vehicle, turn heater on full blast, remove bleed screw, slowly fill the expansion tank while massaging the hoses to release trapped air until a steady stream of coolant flows out of the bleed hole. Allow engine to reach operating temp and then cool off, repeat process several times.

While you may think you've released all of the air because you didn't see any bubbles or whatever, there's probably still air trapped in your radiator. Air bubbles travel up and often get trapped in the radiator. You need to run the heater to get the coolant to circulate through the entire system. Say there's air in the heater core, if you don't open the heater valve, the air will remain trapped. Also note that if the bleed port isn't elevated to the highest point of the system(ie parked on an incline) and the car is sitting level or on a decline, air will travel up to the highest point and remain there.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote