View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Recon427

Some things to consider:

1) Shifting from Toyota to BMW will be different. Toyota's can go without maintenance for a long time. Maybe change the oil in a while. BMW's cannot be handled like that.

2) Price seems fine, however what is the maintenance record for the car? At nearly 150,000 miles it is probably due for Inspection I pretty soon.

3) Remember that the lowest gas you can put is 89 octane [mid grade] however, that is off-set by the better fuel efficiency of around 30 avg. for highway / city mix.

4) Some things to check:
-> subframe bushings/ mounts
-> control arm bushings
-> shock mounts
-> water pump/cooling system service
-> brakes

5) The brakes have to be bleed every 2 years and cooling system every 3 years. When was the last time this was done to the car? If not very recent than that will probably be an upcoming cost you will have to budget for. You can do it yourself, or have an independent BMW shop do it for you [for both services cost should be around $200 to $300 max]

6) Forget about going to a BMW dealership unless you have a wallet that has no end. On the flip side, DO NOT take this car to Midas or some generic shop.

This is all I can think of right now. But it should give you some food for thought before you buy the car.

If you want a fun car to drive then get it, however makes sure you look into the maintenance costs. I am emphasizing this since you are coming from the Toyota side...