View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
littlerobinho

Default Too good to be true? (Purchased, Now thinking about future)

Here is an update regarding a 1998 ti I'm looking at with 180,00 highway miles (supposedly). here is what the seller has said: (he has records of service too he says)

"I've had every service done and done on time. Never had an overheating problem. At the last service (at Schneider's on DeLaVina) the mechanic said he thought he saw some coolent so I should watch for a leak. As a precaution I've kept a gallon of coolant in the trunk and started watching the temp gauge closely but it's never gone over the middle mark where it has always been. That's been almost 10,000 miles ago and I've topped the coolant off once. It didn't really need it, probably about an inch below the max mark, but I topped it anyway. By the way, it's got about 800 miles to go before the next service is due. There is a series of lights on the dash that tells you when to get it serviced.
I'm not saying the car will never need any repairs but I can honestly say that right now I don't know of any and nothing has given me any problems. I had the catalytic converter replaced a few years ago and that was the only major dollar repair it's ever needed.
Again, not sure why I'm selling it but I think it's because I'm going to retire in a few months and once I'm not working it will be hard for me to get credit to buy a new car. So I'm thinking I need to buy a new one now and it's got to be one that will last me until they carry me off to the old age home."

He also said this:

"leather seats, alloy wheels, cruise control, air conditioning, electric two way (sliding and tilt) sun roof, heated seats, power windows and door locks, remote entry fob"

Hes asking 4500, but what should i Offer?

the only thing that worries me is the high mileage, ALSO this is a southern california car. Has never been subjected to intense cold, it gets up into the high 80s here but only during last months of summer

Last edited by littlerobinho; 06-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
littlerobinho is offline   Reply With Quote