View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
PaulM

Default seat disassembly - replacing plastic clips

Full background - picked up a nice Ti (1995) which the PO already replaced the stock seats with black leather sport seats (electric). Bought the leatherique stuff to recondition and re-dye, and as usual the project is expanding.

Several seams are splitting, my first thought was to see if I can fix in place, but on further work I figured its better to remove the seats. So - out come the seats (after disconnecting battery - note that the seats are 1997 versions with pyro charge tubes but they have no disarm screw?). Now I can get at everything better.

Hey since they are out why not pull the cushions off to really allow for full access as well as probably swap the sides (put driver cushions and covers on passenger side and visa versa).

So now we finally get to the question - the bottoms are held on by two torx and two push pin/clips. No problem as the push clips are available for about 25cents (52108130678 "clamp" according to realoem). The question is about yanking the old ones out prior to seeing the replacements. Should I dremel the pin portion to keep from possibly cracking the plastic they poke through (not worried about breaking the pin but would like to avoid damage to the seat cushion plastic itself or plastic frame the "clamp" attaches to)? How are they inserted into the cushion? Do they thread in or is it another snap fit?

Half thinking of refitting the snap locations with inserts so the cushion would install with 4 screws.

Somewhat related question - any pointers on an appropriate hand stitch for the seams? Thinking of trying to fix them myself but I have yet to see any good diagrams of how it should be done. Maybe I'll see what an upholstery shop will charge - hopefully not to much when everything is apart

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks for reading this far
Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote