View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
PrimeTimeSlime

Default Swap Geniuses, I need your help!

My swap is almost done. Everything is back together but I can't get it to start.

Here are the details:
Swapped engine and manual transmission from a 99 e36 328is into my automatic 96 318ti.

The ignition barrel on my 318ti started spinning the day before the swap so I decided to replace it with the 328 barrel (ended up swapping the entire steering column) and used the 328 key, ews, and dme. Pretty straight forward.

When I turn the key, all the electronics light up, the fuel pump primes, but the starter does not crank. The starter is working, we tested it with a battery.

I think it is one of the following, and maybe I am doing something wrong.

I thought it may be the neutral safety switch from the old automatic transmission. We tried running the brown wire from pin 7 to the ignition wire as shown here with no luck. http://e36-tech.com/DIY/5speedswap.htm

Now I am thinking it may have to do with the switch under the clutch pedal that wont let the car start without the clutch pedal depressed (the switch is not there now). I would like to bypass this switch but I have no idea how to do it. How do I get around it?

I am fairly certain it is not the ews since we used a working ews, dme, key, and steering column from the donor car. I was able to start and run the donor before we began.

Any help you guys can give me will be much appreciated!

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one, care less for them"
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote