View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #47
planksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
No worries Zach, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya. Usually when a head gasket goes, it really goes. I mean in the few that I've seen, the oil cap and dipstick are usually caked with that crap. But sometimes they go gradually and sometimes there's no oil coolant mix. All that yellowish stuff means is that there's moisture in your oil. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a blown head gasket. You can also test the coolant for exhuast gasses. They sell a kit, but sometimes you can just look in the expansion tank and see an oily rainbow film floating on top of the coolant.

Seafoam in the fuel is supposed to remove any moisture in the fuel system by making it combustable. You might have just got some bad gas? Have you checked the spark plugs? How about the brake cleaner trick I mentioned earlier. A dry/cracked intake boot can cause the engine to run rough and misfire.
Thanks man, just wondering what would be the cause of the head gasket to blow and what is a worse case scenario of it as far as problems?? seafoam was what cured my rough idle so I trust that stuff for sure. I will check the expansion tank for the oily film as well. I replaced the spark plugs about a month ago and I remember a little bit of oil around a few of the old plugs and they were pretty shot with a bit of carbon build up, funny i think i still have them in the garage. I also replaced the intake boot with a brand new one a couple months ago so its fine as well, and what was the brake cleaner trick again??