View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
maverick

Default traction control on my 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
The 96 318ti's had traction control which uses the ABS module and sensors to work. When one of the wheel speed sensors is going faster than the other (i.e when a wheel is spinning) the module applies the brakes on the spinning wheel, which causes the differential to send power to the other wheel. Open differentials send the power to the wheel which will turn the easiest i.e. the spinning wheel. The second throttle body in the intake tract is for the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) when sensors detect the car going too fast around a corner it reduces the power thereby slowing the car. 96 ti's have the electronic traction control, but no stability control.
I have a 96 ti with traction control but not the throttle for stability control and mine uses the brakes to basically slow the spinning wheel so that the other takes power and hopefully pulls me through. Now saying that and knowing for sure I have no second throttle body mine will if pushed cut power. Mine will be fine unless I gun it and get everything spinning and then it is like hitting a rev limiter without being at the redline, power is cut for sure with trda trda trda sort of a sound like bouncing a rev limiter so I think it pulls the spark or something to control the power if pushed too far. If I need to push it to get out I have to turn of the traction control and do it with either my foot feathering the brakes or the hand brake to divert power or I go know where and just sit going trda trda trda.

Not sure how they do it but even without the stabilty control throttle it cuts power and I will have to look again I think there is a statement as to how the indicator light flashes that indicates the cutting of power...I think it only flashes if it is cutting power and otherwise the traction control goes about its business and does not let us know.

My observations on mine, but that is how it seems.

Dave
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote