View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
Take a look at these two pictures.

One bottom pictures has a 180 degree bend from the charger, the other one has a slightly less bend, then an additional silver 45 degree bend later in the intake.

Basic question. Which one is a M44 kit that keeps traction control? The kit I have to install is the lower one, with the 180 degree bend. The car is a 96 M44 318ti which only has one throttle body like the top picture. What's the deal with the difference? I search around and both show they are for the M44. The car I bought it from was a 99 I believe. Am I screwed or can I make this work?
Well your not actually seeing the difference between a setup for tarction control and one without. The image at the bottom is the setup that was originally designed for the M42/M44 installed in an a 318ti, the top is the one setup originally designed for the M44 installed in the Z3. The throttle body to supercharge elbow for the 318ti is basically a 180 degree bend and the one for the Z3 is a slightly shallower bend I beleive to package better in the Z3 engine bay.

The 180 degree bend is so close to the supercharger that the M42 is fine due to its remote mounted idle control valve but with an M44 throttle body there is not enough clearence there for the idle control valve so Downey supplies a remote adaptor kit with a plate, barbs, hoses and a mount for the valve. The Z3 bend allows the clearence for the valve with no issue.

Makes me wonder now after having to purchase the idle contrl valve remote kit for my used M42 setup to convert to M44 if it might be cheaper or better just using the Z3 bend? The remote kits are pricey and unless Downey makes more I bought the last one so anyone wanting to go from an M42 to a M44 kit bear that in mind and check with Downey if the parts are available as that kit would not be easy to replicate cheaply.

Dave
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote