View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
jwinlaporte

Default Clutch/Flywheel Replacement...Gear box too?

Well I haven't posted in a while, but that's because my ti has been running great--until the clutch went out.

I have it torn down, here's the situation: With questions. . .1996 ti with 243,000 miles.

Transmission has original VIN number, and it's been out before. This is obvious because several star bolts were missing or stripped on bell housing.
Friction plate was key holed and about 1/2 less in diameter than it should be as outside edge is chewed up. Flywheel is junk.
Is the dual mass flywheel supposed to have play and spin on itself? The bolt heads on the flywheel were worn down.

Question 1: Do you think I should not reuse gearbox with it having 240K miles? Follow up? You got one with fewer miles?
Question 2: What is the lowest priced, decent quality direct fit flywheel clutch combo out there? This will be my first manual transmission job. . . and I want to make sure whatever goes back in will bolt up and reassemble correctly the first time. Any input/advice about reassembly. Maybe CoolJess wants to come to Indiana and put trans back in without a jack--I remember those pictures a while back...

Last edited by jwinlaporte; 03-25-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: English teacher, I can't help it.
jwinlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote