View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
cmptrwiz

Vehicles
Default rear wiper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamler View Post
I have a problem with my rear wiper here is what I have figured out so far.

1. The rear wiper doesn’t work, but the front wipers function correctly.
2. Disconnecting the wiper control module allows the rear wipers to work (but will not spray fluid) and the front wipers do not function at all. (Note I have replaced the module with known good ones and nothing changes).
3. If I disconnect the wiper sprayer both the front and rear wipers work but obviously the sprayer for both the front and back do not work.

I’m beginning to suspect that the motor for the wiper is incorrect or is malfunctioning.

Could someone give me some type of insight as to what I should do? Have any of the members here experienced any problem similar to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is usually internal rust jamming the mechanism and stripping the gear in the wiper motor (see photo). There is no repair for this problem and a junkyard unit likely to have the same symptoms. I bought a new BMW unit and vowed not to use plain water in the summer. BMW wiper fluid allegedly doesn't cause rust in the rear wiper. Another poor design choice on the e36 ti, the water could be prevented from entering the mechanism/gear area of the motor.

Water passes through the hole in the knob on the left side as the water goes to washer nozzles on the rear wiper arm. Used some dielectric grease to lube this area and the gear on the bottom of the pink ring on the new wiper motor. Will take it apart again in the spring to see if any rust has started and replace the grease with something more suitable.

Even though the motor worked just fine on the old unit the gear was totally stripped. Like always no replacement is available!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	rear-wiper-motor-bad.jpg Views:	298 Size:	157.5 KB ID:	13578  
cmptrwiz is offline   Reply With Quote