View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
oldtin

Default Need some diagnostic help

1995 318ti (4/95 build date), 218k. Running perfect until a -3* day. Now running on 3 cylinders (#3 dead). Seemed like there was a whiff of cooked electrical component smell that morning, but I'm not 100%. Plastic looked melted at the #3 coil on the coil pack - replaced coil pack and wires - no joy. Spark plug looks great - even gray and dry. No oil in the well. No spark at the plug while engine is running. Haven't checked the dme relay (was assuming if that was it it would be a go-no go thing instead of a missing cylinder). For coil connector there are 6 pins/sockets - I'm assuming 1 12v, 1 gnd and 4 signals to coils. Once again assuming center socket is gnd, I've got 12v and minor voltage to 3/4 sockets (like .06). So I'm thinking it's a dme problem not sending a signal to #3. Am I now in the market for a new dme? What have I overlooked? Any tests I should be trying?

If I need a dme, will it need a reflash or can I swap chips (I believe there's a turner chip in the old one) and avoid it?

Last edited by oldtin; 01-26-2013 at 06:44 AM.
oldtin is offline   Reply With Quote