View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
imarami

Default Crashed my Ti - help!

I frequented this forum about 4 years ago when I first was searching for a Ti and thanks to your help, I bought a gorgeous red 1998 5-speed with the California roof. Roxanne, as I like to call her, has been my baby for 4 years now and taken many trips between Boston and NJ shuttling me to and from school. Last week on my way back to NJ around 1am, and being a bit too tired to safely drive, I hit and popped a curb-height median after getting trapped in a left exit only lane, then launched to the right-shouder metal barrrier where I collided with the curb again. Thankfully I'm fine, but the car on the other hand is in bad shape. I had AAA tow it to their garage and just got the estimate back today. Here's a list of the main damage:

Front suspension: sway bar end links (x2), outer tie rod (x2), rack & pinion, strut (x2), strut mount (x2), trailing arm

Back: CV axle, drive flange hub, angular contact balance, sway bar link (x2)

All of this damage totals approx. $4000 in parts, and that's not taking into account some of the body damage that occurred to fenders, etc.

There is also a part listed as "Frame X Member" for $558, but I'm not sure what exactly that is, or where on the car it is located. Although I assume with such a hefty price it will be a necessary part to fix to get the car back and running.

Not to mention that after all this is potentially fixed, there could still be some frame damage as I hit at 80 mph.

So my question to you folks, what do I do? I'm not ready to part with this car and junk it, but considering that I only paid $3500 for it, and just replaced the clutch 500 miles ago for $1000, it really does not make financial sense to try and save her, does it? I am willing to store her in the garage and do the work myself, but is there options on where to buy these parts cheaper? I was also considering trying to find another beat down Ti that needs engine work but with an intact body/frame, and either swap the engine's or, pull parts into mine.

I'm honestly at a loss, and any advice you have whatsoever would be extremely helpful. Whether it's a local car for sale (I'm in NJ) that would be a good swap candidate, or advice on how to deal with parting with my baby, or even mechanical advice, I'll gladly take all of it.

Thanks for reading all that - looking forward to your help!
imarami is offline   Reply With Quote