View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
BimmerBum

Vehicles

I deal with this about once a month with my customers. I pulled a Koni rear shock and a stock rear shock mount from my inventory to demonstrate.

You MUST have a large enough washer on the top and bottom of the mount. The washer on the bottom should not be able to slide all the way down the shaft. When you do not have the proper washers installed you can punch the bushing out of the mount... especially when the washer on the bottom side of the mount is not there or not correct. Properly installed the bushing should be TIGHTLY sandwiched between 2 large washers.

It looks like you don't have a washer on the bottom. That would cause all the force from the shock to be concentrated on the small metal sleeve in the center of the bushing instead of spread out over the entire bushing surface. This concentrated force pops the bushing out of the housing.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Last edited by BimmerBum; 08-27-2013 at 10:53 AM.
BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote