View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
Artem

Vehicles
Default A few questions - getting ready for an S52 in a TI

Hi guys,

So I am just about ready to put in the engine into my car.

While I was acquiring the engine I also scored the rear subframe off an M-roadster, brakes and springs, so I will have those brakes all around. I will need the front shocks + springs off an E36 M3 to finish the pairing but that aint no thang.

So far I have a ZF Tranny with 53k miles on it
S52 motor with 102k miles on it
Rear subframe off an M roadster with 102k miles on it.
all M roadster brakes
all M roadster springs (I Know I need the M3 front end, working on it)

Anyway, got a few questions:

What is the deal with the cluster swapping into the car? Can we not use the stock 318ti cluster? Or does everyone love the MPG gauge so much that they do the cluster swap. Either way - will an M roadster cluster fit a stock TI? And do I really need it?

The driveshaft thing is really confusing - the swap threads say theres like 3 different driveshaft options and all that, however:

I looked into the wheel base of a Z3M and found out that its roughly 10" shorter than that of a TI/E36 sedan/E36 coupe. Thus I am having a hard time believing that a stock M roadster driveshaft bolts up to the engine.
People say that the Z3m transmission combo with the S52 uses its own driveshaft, but the Z3m and any other S52 engined car along with the M54 and M52 is using the same ZF320 transmission, so I am not sure what accounts for the compatibility difference.

I also heard that some people use an AUTOMATIC M3 driveshaft... so that got me spinning in a whole different direction.

Just trying to sort out some stuff before I delve into redoing the motor gaskets and subframe bushings and all that.

Has anyone realigned EWS in their car to another ECU using the BMW software and a USB to OBDII adapter?

And lastly, if I get a stock M3 exhaust and cut some piping off in the middle and re-weld it, is that all I really need?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to have this over with
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote