View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
derekkg

I was running this exact same set up. I really liked it. My highway gas mileage went up by about 2 mpg, and I think I was turning a little under 3000 at 80 mph, which is a lot more comfortable. You can downshift to 3rd to pass at highway speeds to to make up for the less torque. 4th gear is very nearly identical to what your old 5th gear was (3.57 for the new 4th vs 3.45 for the old 5th). So you can have that same passing power available, while having a higher gear for cruising.

For me, the limited slip also helped it feel quicker, maybe its just because I had bad tires, but the 3.45 couldn't put all the power down since it was open and could often spin a wheel.

Another big thing I noticed was on long road trips, I used to notice the motor just buzzing away, especially if I wasn't driving. The 2.93 really quiets down the engine noise.

I made a spreadsheet with graphs that you can look at here. I originally made this for my M52 swap, but since I swapped the diff about 2 months before the motor, I compared the m44 with the 3.45 and 2.93 as well. I attached the relevant graph, but there is some more information in the spreadsheet if you want to check the whole thing out here:
http://1drv.ms/QNw7CN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	m44 2.93 vs 3.45.jpg Views:	248 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	14904  
derekkg is offline   Reply With Quote