View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzKickr
So what you're saying is that a BOV can not be used on a turbo-ed M42/M44 (like my Mosselman setup) ? And why not ?
Blow-off valve that vent to atmosphere are typically not used on cars with Mass Air Flow meters. When the BOV blows off, it releases air that was previously measured by the MAF meter. This usually means the car will stumble and run REALLY rich at idle or anytime the BOV releases air. Cars that respond well to BOVs (that vent to atmosphere) use MAP sensors instead of MAF sensors. The basic difference is this: A MAP sensor reads the PRESSURE of the intake tract, while a MAF measures the mass of the air as it comes in. A MAF system needs to stay sealed to work well. Some production turbo vehicles come with a sealed version of a BOV calles a bypass-valve. A bypasss-valve does the same thing as a BOV, only instead of blowing to atmosphere, it blows back into the intake tract, thus never losing any air that was measured by the MAF meter.

The Apexi unit that I had mentioned is capable of montioring the intake pressure, probably via an add-on MAP sensor. It also probably piggybacks the MAF meter to change the sensor voltage.

I had a turbo civic back in the day and I loved the BOV sound. But apparently you don't really need one unless you are running 10+ psi. If you do run one, I would try to vent it back into the intake tract, anywhere after the MAF meter.

Good luck!

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote