View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
writeb

Well, from what I understand E36 is the chassis type. From the B pillar forward, our ti is pretty much identical (structure-wise) as the other 3 series BMW's.[which are straight on E36's-- we must say "compact" or risk getting misfitted parts] (with exception to the 3 series coupe's corner lights, I think....). The rear is pretty much unique in the whole BMW line, although I think we can use 5 series tail lights!!! Other Chassis types: E30 (older school 3 series), E39 (5 series before this latest one out now). E46 (New 3 series), And a variety of different ones that elude me now.

Regarding Engine type, you have a tricky one, you'll have to ask some of the old heads on the board whether or not your engine is an M42 or an M44. Both are 4 cylinder, but the older one is a 1.8liter Inline 4 and the ones made after the 95 cut off is 1.9 liter. The main good thing about having a 95 or earlier is OBDI, where you can really mod your car with a chip effectively. The later model cars have OBDII (On Board Diagnostics), and finding vendors that have cracked or effectively licensed the encryption is few and far between. But that's for another post.
writeb is offline   Reply With Quote