View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Dadofour

Default 1997 318ti converted to 332ti

318ti converted to 332ti For Sale ***SOLD***

In November of 2013 I committed to my wife to spend less time away racing so I could be home to help with an elderly relative.

About the same time a non-running 318ti fell in my lap and I decided to make it the project I could work on to keep me occupied at home. My intent was to do an Auto to manual conversion with an S52 transplant and end up with a reliable track rat street car I could instruct students in (The race car is a little intimidating). I tried to create a stock M Roadster engine and drive train. I succeeded. The concept expanded as you will see below.

**** SOLD****

After 2 years of development and a year of street driving I was able to turn a few laps a month ago at Summit point and the car was really hooked up, but at the speeds I like to drive, I felt it now needed safety items like roll cage, race seats, harnesses and nets

I have a rule. Never add up what is spend on cars. I violated the rule for this build when I decided to sell it. Huge Mistake! I can’t believe what I sunk into this car. I am not trying recoup that investment, but it really gives you an idea what it would cost you to build this car.

The car is functionally great. I will try to describe it as accurately as possible.

It is basically a new car. The car is completely reliable and good for another 200K miles.

*** SOLD ***

If you want to see a couple hundred pictures of the build on FaceBook Friend me at Nathaniel “Than” Orens

Vin:WBACG8327WKC84650
TITLE: CLEAR
Color: Black
Production year: 1998

Car History
I am the Third owner. The second owner held onto the car and never drove it as the 4 banger overheated, burned a couple of valves and sat for two years, so basically I am the second owner.

This is not a garage queen. It was a daily driver in Long Island, NY and sports the original paint and body panels with some dings and a couple scratches. She polishes up nicely.

Modifications:

Motor: 1999 M3 Auto 3.2 L S52 OBD1 Conversion
Transmission: 1997 M3 5-Speed. ZF
Differential: Z3 3.23 LSD completely rebuilt

Suspension:
• Stock M Roadster (M version of Z3) suspension
• ISC Coilover Suspension with 10K front / 12K Rear Springs.
• AKG Poly bushings at trailing arms, subframe, frt control arms.
• Rear Subframe reinforced with welded Randy Forbes kit

Brakes:
• Stock M Roadster rebuilt calipers
• New rotors on all 4 corners
• Performance Friction Z Rated Pads

Interior Upgrades:
• Stock except:
o Completely rewrapped 3-spoke airbafg OEM BMW Wheel
o E46 M3 front seats

Instrument Cluster: M3 Cluster

Wheels: D-Force 17 X 8.5 wheels wrapped in winter tires come with car.
Tires: Have a new set of Advans for an additional charge

Exhaust System: Magniflow

Drivetrain upgrades:
• UUC Fly wheel
• Sachs M5 clutch / pressure plate
• AKG Aluminum Shift kit
• M Roadster half shafts
• M3 driveshaft with new guibo

Engine Upgrades:
• Stewart water pump
• fan delete mod
• SPAL Fan
• Technica Custom chip with EWS Delete, Secondary air delete, M50 OBD1 conversion

The Good:

The car has every critical functional component new.

The Bad:
• Speedo intermittent loss of gauge function
• Gauge cluster flashes off and on intermittently (no impact on car function
• Front A-Pillar covers coming off
• Traction control disabled
• Sunroof switch panel tabs broken (Sunroof works well)
• With 10K/12K springs you will lose teeth on a big bump, but there is nothing like it on smooth pavement.
• Headliner has slight separation in very rear
• Panel at knees on driver side a little loose
• Both windows work, but could benefit from a couple of new regulators
• Body has assorted dings and scratches I have tried to document with pictures. Nothing horrible, but not a garage queen.

Have to figure out how to post pics.....Sorry

Last edited by Dadofour; 11-08-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Dadofour is offline   Reply With Quote