View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default Power steering problem

Hi all -

First off, please excuse the description I'm about to give of this problem, I can't describe it much better than this.

Symptoms: When turning the steering wheel it feels notchy in spots. The wheels turns like normal, but every now and then it feels like it skips, like a gear tooth is skipping. Very intermitent. It was cold this morning (40s) and it skipped about 10 times while pulling into a parking spot (typical 90 degree sharp left turn). There is a light clunking noise that can be heard inside and outside of the car when it "skips", along with a light jarring in the steering wheel.

I have plenty of power steering fluid. It feels mechanical, like something is skipping. I've also noticed a small amount of play when moving the wheel back and forth when parked. My steering wheel points straight with the wheels. I just rolled 141k miles. Control arm bushings, meyle control arms and ball joints are all new. I have HR sport springs and Bilstein sport struts with heavy 17" mille miglia wheels.

Any ideas? Tie rods? Power Steering? Rack?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote