View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #129
L84THSKY

I had my window regulators replaced last year under warranty. The work was done by a local BMW dealership. So shortly after they did their work, I noticed something rattling around in the door. I opened the cover and found that the passenger side window guide broke off. This caused the glass to rattle when closing the door with the window down. I removed the part, and closed the panel up.

Recently I brought the car in for some small warranty work. They fixed the right door lock actuator, and the cam sensor. The other problem I asked them to fix was the window guide. They said it wasn't covered under warranty, so I bought the part and put it in last week.

To make a long story short, I put the guide in, along with the rubber insert to protect the glass. As I played with the up/down button, and watched the actuator work, I noticed something. One of the bolts holding the motor to the door frame was missing. As the window went up, the regulator assembly was torquing off the door where the missing bolt was. I went and replaced the bolt, then checked for tightness on the three other bolts holding the assembly to the door. All three of the other bolts were loose. So after the dealer replaced the regulator assembly last year, one bolt fell out, and the remaining three were loose. What bugs me is that the mechanic didn't notice this when her recently opened the door to examine the window guide.

All is fixed, by yours truly. You can't trust anyone but yourself to do a job right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtherev View Post
I haven't tried taking the door apart myself to look, but considering how little I know about cars it probably wouldn't do a ton of good. I'm just glad to find out i'm not the only person who's had issues with the windows.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote