View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #13
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318_mzk2 View Post
to get good access you have to remover half of the intake manifold..thats the way i replaced my starter back when i had my m44....i have a stock flywheel also if you want it.. i had a stage 2 race disk on my m44 it was realy good
I completely disagree. It's much easier to remove the dipstick tube and remove the starter from underneath the car. Disconnect the battery, disconnect the wires going to the starter, remove dipstick tube, remove both starter mounting bolts, rotate starter 270 degrees and it'll drop right out from underneath the car.

First I'd get a second opinion on the starter and or flywheel "missing teeth" though. What were the symptoms, does it make grinding noises when you're cranking it? Unless your friend removed the slave cylinder and looked through the hole with a boroscope, it's pretty random to assume the flywheel is missing teeth. That being said, starters usually fail in one of two ways. Either the solenoid goes bad in which the starter won't do anything because the electrical side is fried, and/or the other failure is usually a bad starter actuator that won't shuttle back and engage with the flywheel. If by chance the flywheel is missing teeth, there's really no where for them to go except for the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. So you should be able to fish them out through the slave cylinder hole using a flexible magnet. This would confirm the flywheel is damaged and might save you from having to pull the transmission. Just my .02

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-28-2010 at 04:08 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote