View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
Bluebimma

Default Suspension: A Bluebimma Diary

So, after a few years and owning 4 318tis, I decided to go back over some photos and parts that ive had installed and give them a bit of in depth reviews for you guys to read. I decided to start in the suspension area, since a lot of our cars are either in need of replacement or just want to try something new but don’t want to buy the parts or can’t afford them just yet and want to know what’s what and how it feels in our cars. So, if you’re bored, take a quick glance through and maybe you’ll find some good information or something you’d like to debate about.

1997 318ti Active Package
Purchased July 2006
1.9L M44B19, Getrag 5-speed Manual, 3.45-Open

Bought this chassis off a coworker, was my first BMW and it had already been beaten like a red-headed step child and was in need of R&R. It had the stock 318ti active package suspension that had rolled off the line in April of 1997. The front struts were pretty low on damping but felt just fine, so I left them in for the time being and worked on other parts of the car like tint, brakes, interior ICE, and making it look pretty. Once I felt “brave enough”. I decided to install a set of H&R race springs on the stock dampers. The result was a very nice, yet subtle, drop and slightly improved handling. These were the linear RED race springs that had been out at the time, not the newer progress Race line that they have on market.

Stock Ride Height
Rims – Standard active package 15x6 (or 7) with 195/60/16 Blizzaks

Drop was ~2.25”-2.5” Front, 1.5” Rear
Rims – 16x7 Mille Miglia Evo5 – 205/55/16
17x8 Mille Miglia MM-2 – 215/45/17

I thoroughly enjoyed this setup, as it looked good, handled very well compared to the 4x4 stance it had. If the dampers were new, im sure the ride would’ve been a bit better, but there was the occasional bottoming out and slop to it. The PO had installed solid centered lower control arm bushings and who knows when it was last aligned from then.

After about 6 months and ~13k miles, my M44 killed itself and I bought another m44 from the junkyard and it had bent valves, so I threw away the dream of the DASC m44 and drove out to Wisconsin and purchased an M50 for 300$ and brought it home. Prior to installation, I removed the a/c system, power steering, and a few other things from the front end, installed the M50, and gained 40lbs at the front end with the M50B25 and 6cyl radiator setup. Due to complications, I removed the radiator and went with the lightweight hit which uses the stock 4cyl radiator, water wetter, lower t-stat, and optional fan, which I haven’t used in 5 years now. After that, I picked up a set of Intrax Lowering springs from a 328is and installed them in the TI with the 6 cylinder. The car was slightly slower in a straight line but a bit more stable in the corners. After a while, the dampers started failing hardcore so they were replaced.

Active Package struts and shocks
H&R Race 318ti front springs
Intrax 328IS rear springs
17x8 Mille Miglia MM-2 – 215/45/17

Notice the bounce in the suspension as I take off and shift, definitely worn out. Don’t mind the no-start action, ran into some heavy valve cover seal/misfire issues.

In car with blown suspension. You can see that the car is bouncing between shifts and seems to pull a little in each direction because of it. Was racing a friends modded 328IS.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote