View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 06:18 PM   #2
Andy318

Update - Car's production date is 03/96 therefore it should be OBD2, as the silver label 413 DME would also suggest. However, I'm thinking the TMS chip that is for a 93/94 325 is operating engine (system?) as OBD1.

My OBD2 port only has 4 wires connected to it (see pics). I connect my OBD2 scanner and it powers on but can't connect in any of the 3 key positions (Off, On, Run)

I then started researching the 20 pin connector in the engine bay. After taking some notes with tests to perform I head out to the car and of course my pins are nothing like I've seen online... My car has pins 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 1, 11, 12, and 7. The testing steps I found online are as follows:

Pin 19 = GND. Tested for continuity and it's OK.
Pin 14 = Constant Power. Tested for continuity to top of B+, nothing. To starter cable, nothing. To two smaller wires below on the right side, bingo! Then test voltage. With key off I get 2.6V on pin 14 and 11V on pin 15. With the key in the run position I get 0.6V on 14 and 10.7V on 15. Please keep in mind the connector cap is off so if there are any connections that require the cap to be on to achieve target test voltages that will require another set of tests. Can anyone confirm if cap needs to be on for car to start/run?

Pin 16 = 12V in run or start. Confirmed 12V with key in run position.

During all these tests battery voltage was 12.6V. I got the same voltage from B+ to chassis and engine ground and the same at fuse box to chassis ground.

I also read not to jump any pins if there is voltage on pin 15 so no pin jumping at this point until I get more info.

Car still cranks but no start... no fuel nor spark so still trying to determine if EWS to DME, DME or wiring. Hope the above info helps someone point me in the right direction. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	OBD2 port wires.jpg Views:	137 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	18261   Click image for larger version Name:	OBD2 port.jpg Views:	98 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	18262  
Andy318 is offline   Reply With Quote