View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #95
bmwman91

Interesting. Bummer to have a leak there!

I took the oil filter housing off this evening (new parts arrive in a couple of days). Being that the gasket and o-rings are only 2 years old, it is annoying that there is a leak like this, but it sounds like a number of people have had leak issues with this assembly, sometimes within a day of replacing the seals.

I made a couple of observations:
1) The o-rings on the bush are about as hard as a rock! I am amazed (and disappointed) that it only took 2 years and ~10,000 miles to make new ones get to this state. Anyway, it is what it is, and I am replacing the bush and o-rings.
2) ALL of the gasket and o-ring sealing surfaces (on the timing case and filter housing) had paint on them! The engine builder painted all of the aluminum bits with some nice silver/gray paint, which is very "aluminum" colored, which is why I did not notice it during initial assembly when everything was new. It would seem that they forgot to mask the parts before painting them. There was some paint caked against the edge of the o-rings, which was likely not helping anything. 90 minutes with some gloves, acetone and paper towels got all of it off of there and now all of the sealing surfaces are nice, clean aluminum.

So, I have my fingers crossed that when I put it all back together I will remain nice and dry now that things are properly cleaned!
bmwman91 is offline   Reply With Quote