View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
rgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
BMWs in general are known for the plastic coolant parts failing somewhere around 60-100k miles. Maybe even faster if you live in a warm climate. It is the nature of plastic and it is a service item.

You don't expect BMW to cover all of your radiator hoses and belts do you? Those wear out just the same. After 8 or so years plastic that is constantly getting hot and then cold, hot and then cold will get brittle.

As to why it was not replaced when the other work was done.. Not sure. People usually want the cheapest way to get in and out of the repair shop. Most people seem to wait for these parts to break before fixing them.
well, it looks like a case of bad timing for me.... I just spoke with the shop and asked them about the water pump, the fan being plugged in, the temp sensor, and burping the coolant, all of which is fine... he said he is almost %100 sure it's a warped or cracked cylinder. so I'm looking at about $2000 total, when all is said and done.

damn those plastic coolant tubes, I wish BMW had made them in metal!!

question: shouldn't there be a beep that goes off when the temp goes in the red? I think that would've been an extremely helpful feature in these kinds of cases, since it's nearly impossible to keep your eye on the temp gauge at all times, (especially in LA traffic!) the bummer of the situation is that I had JUST looked at the temp gauge about three/ four minutes before this whole thing happened and it was fine.... crazy that so much damage can happen in such a short period of time!
rgirl is offline   Reply With Quote