Thread: 330dti build
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Bracky

Vehicles

next was on to preparing the compact for the new engine and loom. First the interior was pulled out and then the engine:

Up to date I've fitted the engine just as a test run to see what of the brackets in the engine bay have to be chopped & smoothed and what will be needed, as it turns out pretty much every bracket that was for the petrol engine is useless. Founds that the m57 is a MUCH bigger engine than the m51 2.5L diesel and is a PITA to drop in without damaging anything even after removing the air-con pump and tensioners.

It fits! Just with a few problems that need ironing out also still awaiting the new engine mounts so its just sitting a little low on the subframe but she looks pretty in there.

One problem I'm trying to solve is I'm using the complete e46 loom and body control module which seems to communicate with the airbag module. Does anyone know if the e36 airbag module will work or communicate properly with the e46 body control module or would it be possible to reprogram the e46 unit to work without the side or curtain airbags as the e36 does not have these. using the e46 unit would be easier otherwise i still have to chop out and splice in the e36 airbag loom and connectors. I have the BMW tools Software including INPA, NCS-expert etc. but have never looked into if this can be used to reprogram airbag modules in this detail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Bracky; 12-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Bracky is offline   Reply With Quote