View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
burner505

Default 1996 M44 Crank, no spark, no start

Hi guys, so I tried a search but I couldn't find a definitive answer on what to look for while checking the Crankshaft position sensor. A little backstory on the car. 1996 318ti, 160k, automatic. PO said it wouldn't start, tried jumping the starter and it was found to be working. He said he didn't do anything else. I purchased the car after reading some possible causes on this forum, thought it sounded like the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced it blindly, believing it was certainly this sensor, only to have the same result: cranks but no start. Opened the DME connector and it was dry, no corrosion. I checked for spark with an inline tester, no spark while cranking. No sound coming from the fuel pump when key is inserted and turned forward. Brand new battery I just bought a day after I brought the car home. I tested the Crankshaft position sensor that I pulled off the car, on pin 1 and 2, with DVOM set to 2000 ohms, the readout would spike to 1022-750 upon connecting the probes then drop in value to 0. Am I doing this right? Is it supposed to start high then drop rapidly as the probes stay touching the pins? Is this normal and the sensor is still working? Could a brand new one fail right out of the box? Anything else common to look for, moving forward?
burner505 is offline   Reply With Quote