View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I'm fairly certain that an M50, M52, S50 or S52 clutch/flywheel combo will bolt right up to your motor just fine. I know they'll bolt up to the M42 and M44 engines, and you won't have to deal with the starter bullsh!t that Tom D is talking about.

Why do you want to install a 6cyl clutch/flywheel? Reason I'm asking is because unless you're making 6cyl power, it's hardly an upgrade. The larger clutch will weigh more, thus require more power to spin. Keep in mind, whatever clutch setup you go with, you'll need to use a matching flywheel so that the clutch disc makes the appropriate amount of contact.

As a performance upgrade, you can try to rig up some sort of single mass setup like Tom D mentioned, or you could save a headache and probably some money by purchasing an aftermarket lightweight flywheel and corresponding clutch. OEM flywheels are expensive and heavy.

I'm running a UUC stage2 flywheel(8.5lbs) vs. the stock 40+lb dual mass FW with an e34 M5 clutch, e36 M3 slave cylinder, 318/325 clutch master cylinder(not to be confused with the brake master cylinder which in my case is an e36 M3) and a steel braided clutch line. It should be noted that the e34 M5 clutch is much heavier than the 318ti and M3 clutch, however the gripping force is almost double at about half the weight of a stock setup.

My setup cost about a thousand US dollars, there's cheaper brands out there. Fidanza makes nice lightweight flywheels that are significantly less expensive. Heck, an OEM dual mass flywheel costs about a thousand bucks.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote