View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #27
740isport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Most likely not EWS or unloader since fuel pump is working (unless it is wired out of the DME control).

If fuel pump is wired to DME then EWS is working correct.

My internet guess is crank position sensor at this point, but fuel pump should not prime until the DME detects crank rotation...
John, you were the first one to reply that it probably wasn't EWS, unloader or DME. You said crank position sensor. was probably to blame.

While I can agree with the statement that fuel shouldn't pump if Crank sensor was bad, another issue is you won't get spark if your crankshaft or camshaft position sensors are bad.

As mentioned by OP he has a no spark situation. If he were near me, I'd put the coil to the test by swapping with a known good coil. Thus I'd take mine out and install in his car. But the coil in the 318 isn't cheap and I wouldn't want to buy it just to have the same problem.

But, as I am sure you know, aftermarket sensors (crank and cam) don't play well with BMW DME's and I have personally bought one out of the box and have it be bad. So again, I agree with your original dissertation that it is the crankshaft position sensor and I'll add the statement again that it could be the camshaft position sensor.
740isport is offline   Reply With Quote