View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
paul somlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted_Smores View Post
What are some good methods for cleaning surfaces like this? I'd imagine just get a wet rag or something and go to town.
I've been using the Autozone house brand of engine degreaser - cheap, safe on plastics, and it doesn't evaporate immediately. Put some cardboard and a large towel that you're not fond of underneath, put on some gloves, and use a rag. You can follow up with something water based like Simple Green, then rinse with water.

Expect the coolant leak to be easy, the oil leaks not so much. There's lot's of DIY out there for both. Regarding oil, the most likely culprits are the valve cover gasket, the oil filter housing, the profile gasket between upper and lower timing cover, the profile gasket between the lower chain case and the head, and the oil pan gasket. The front and rear main seals are good for a long time and other than the head gasket, the other gaskets are embossed metal, and I don't think they wear readily.

You might try an inspection mirror and flashlight for the coolant that's pooling; you'll be able to see the underside of the water pump and thermostat areas a little better.

Paul
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote