View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #22
spidertri

Vehicles

Cool, I haven't run with trackdaze yet but I'll try to get out to one of their events this year.

I've never really worked on an M52 before so the intake manifold seemed to have lots of vacuum ports and features that I wasn't completely sure about. After reading several forum threads and looking at lots of realoem diagrams I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to hook up vacuum-wise.

Under the manifold, I deleted the muffler flap canister and SAP vacuum hoses. The FPR then went directly to one of the small ports under the manifold.

I installed a new PCV/hoses and replaced the ICV grommet. That left the brake booster hookup, the large vacuum port for the fuel purge valve, and one small port. I capped the small port and set the manifold in place to get a better understanding of how everything would be positioned.

After that, I replaced all of the low pressure side PS hoses and filled the system with ATF.

I then decided to get under the car and tackle the driveshaft and shift linkage. I quickly discovered that I had purchased the shift carrier and selector rod from a pre-9/94 325is. Below is a picture of the shift lever in neutral...not good.

I took this as a sign that I needed to finally order a fancy selector rod. AKG has options for almost every configuration of BMW and I've never had issues with their parts.

9mm difference between the pre and post 9/94 selector rods. Makes a big difference.

Of course, the AKG rod is designed to be a precise fit. It requires the plastic on the rod joint and shift lever to be sanded down until the selector rod just fits in place by hand. This process took some time and getting the holes lined up for the pins was...frustrating...to say the least.

The final product is amazing though, shifts are much more precise, I was surprised that it made such a nice difference. I plan to order the AKG race shifter eventually as I've heard great things about it.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote