View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
video - good idea. will-do.

had another thought: one of the crank bearings self-destructed and now resides in the oil pan. so, low rpms, little stress on crank, it flexes without that bearing but not enough to impact the block. at 3000 rpm, it's flopping around, sometimes hitting, sometimes not. 3500, hits solidly ever time. higher rpms, seems to go away a little, maybe because it's hitting the block sooner.

if that were the case, I'd need that part of the crank ground, and a new set of crank bearings. can this be done with the motor in the car? in terms of hours, easier to pull the motor?
If the motor is running without a crank bearing I would think the crank journal would be so damaged that the crank would be destroyed. It would be groved so bad you could not grind enough material to get a fresh finish. Also the flex from runing it like this would most likely cause hairline cracks on the rod journals. I've not heard of a motor running for very long with a missing bearing on the crank. I would think you need to remove the motor. I've never heard of someone grinding a crank with the crank in the motor. Also I think the block would have damage on the bearing seat surface so to repair this the crank caps would need to be milled then torqued and line-bored. If you in fact are missing a bearing on the crank you will have serious damage inside that motor.

This is my opinion, John S
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote