Thread: rally car build
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
jerseytim

Vehicles

Lots has been happening with the car, the cage is finished apart from the door bars, i have all the parts needed to fit them but will leave them until the last thing as it gets harder to get in and out with them fitted. the seat rails and seats are fitted along with the harness eyes for 6 point harnesses.the hand held extinguisher has been fitted in front of the drivers seat and the plumbed in extinguisher is behind the drivers seat. the extinguisher pull cable has been fitted to a plate in the engine bay next to the electric isolator button
the push button goes to the old central locking solenoid from the boot that now pulls a cable connected to the electric isolator.
the ABS pump has been removed and all the brake pipes have been replaced with a hydraulic hand brake fitted next to the gearstick.
the plastic windows have been fitted and the brakes bleed so the car can now be driven. Everything worked as it should have done apart from the fuel gauge and rev counter which turned out to be a plug not pushed in enough in the back of the dash. The steering feels good and seems a lot quicker than the original rack. The brakes are good and the engine pulls well with the 3.9 diff fitted.
The rally i was trying to get the car ready for was planned for tomorrow but has been cancelled as there is work going on at the venue that it was to be staged at. The car would have been ready for competition but when i heard about the cancellation i decided to stop working on the car as i have been working too much on it lately.
I have to fit the mud flaps, toe straps and door bars before it can be taken for its check over to get its vehicle passport needed before competition. These are small jobs that shouldn't take long to finish off and i might get them done over the weekend if i get a chance.
it has been one and a half months of evenings and weekends from start up to just about done. it has been done on a budget and is a good base to work from. I will use it as it is and see how the standard suspension handles the bumps, i have some e36 M3 struts i can try then fit the 2.8 engine. i am looking forward to competing in it and am very pleased with the way it has turned out
jerseytim is offline   Reply With Quote