View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Noneone2

Just some food for thought, I've been considering a ratio change from stock 3.45 lsd to 3.25 lsd and have gathered all the pieces except the time.
I see Derek stating 33-34 mpg after a change to a 2.97. I am achieving solid high 33-35 mpg with the 3.45 lsd. So I'm wondering if this swap is worth the time.
There are factors to consider and to compare; (my DD) '97 w/ sunroof/ active pkg., most of my driving is a highway (I-95) commute (160 rndtrip), nearly flat Florida, cruise control @ 32-3300 rpm (approx 66-68 mph), tire pressure @ 36psi, (those oh so lovely but light) 15" 10 spoke Style 27 rims, if I have to cut the muggy humid S. Florida air with a knife I'll run the a/c. The only mods are a COP with stock plugs and my version of the "fogged" airbox with std. Mahle filter (no K&N here). Redline fluids in the gearbox and diff. Amsoil 5-40 Euro in the engine. I don't have rook racks or carry excess stuff. Stock suspension with Bilstein Sports, 19mm rear sway. I run mid-grade 89 fuel, Hess or Chevron.
There it is. Apples to apples, oranges to oranges. Just for comparisons. I, like others, would like to knock a few revs off the tach easing the torture on the engine and drivetrain even if it is only 2-300 rpms (more with a 2.97) for the sake of longevity and (maybe) some improved fuel economy.
At this point if your thoughts of a pure fuel economy improvement is the goal where time invested and the expense are possible factors it may not wash out. If like me you enjoy spinning wrenches for therapy and don't mind trying a little experimentation for real world results I say go for it BUT let the rest of us know what they are under what conditions. I believe there are other Ti drivers that are interested as well. If I choose to go ahead with a swap I will post after I have some numbers.
Derek and others, this is not in anyway meant as a negative. I think the sharing of info and help among the members/ visitors on this forum is huge. I personally have been helped out of a jam or two and saved from getting into a few as well.
Noneone2 is offline   Reply With Quote