View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolarossa View Post
I have a "brand new from dealer" without code BMW Z3///M S54 cluster. I want to hook up it in my 318is. I've tried a bit of things on it:
- Z3///M cluster fitted with Z3///M coding plug (not coded). It shows "CODE-" when I turn the key and gauges not work...

I had the same problem, as stated above... Un-coded clusters do not work at all until coded. Also, is S54 correct? Don't you need an S52 engine cluster? The S54 control system and engine complexity is radically different in several ways from the S52. I think this may be the root cause of the problem...

- Z3///M cluster fitted with 318is coding plug. It shows "Code 2". Gauges aren't working.

M cluster is looking for six cylinder coding plug, you installed a four cylinder coding plug. Hopefully, there was no damage done to the cluster, but I would not expect an major damage from this...

- Now I have the front part (faces, chrome rings, needles, glass) of Z3///M cluster fitted to rear 318is electronics. Readings are wrong (scales are differents), but I know how much are off.

This is because the top speed is higher on the M cluster, as is the top RPM. They do not read the same value when the needles are straight up. It is correct at zero, and then the reading gets further off as it increases up the scale. The fuel and temp gage should work OK...

I've tested to enter to the secret menu and it is structurated as E46 (link), there is the structure, but there aren't infos like VIN and other...

I have this information in my swap manual as well, but was never able to make it work to 're-code' a cluster in the car.

What can do without take it to the dealer?

I'm not sure now, you have a four cylinder cluster with a six cylinder overlay. Very weird...

If I find an used coding plug from a Z3///M with lower miles, it should work except of rpms, right?

I think it will work (provided it is from an S52 engine [earlier] M Roadster), but yes, your RPMs will be off. Mileage has nothing to do with it (expect the red dot, if you don't have it already), number of cylinders and engine type of the car play a greater role. Personally I would (and did) use a cluster from an M3 rather than an M roadster. There are several wiring differences between the roadster and the ti. The ti is more like the standard coupe or sedan than the roadster.

thank you and great infos

Good luck!

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote