Thread: oil leak
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
cjreed92

Well I got my oil housing filter replaced and also my power steering lines, since those were bad as well, and it seemed like my leak was gone. But then I realized I was just wishing it was and in reality it was still there, only when the car was on though so it has to be a part where the oil comes under pressure, could this be the bottom oil pan gasket??

Furthermore:
A couple days later, after replacing my oild housing filter, I was going to take the car out. As I was heading down the street at normal speeds I noticed my temp gauge moving to the right, past the middle. This was unsettling to me since it was happening so fast and a began to smell coolant burning. I turned the car around and it was getting closer to the red zone so I pulled over and turned the car off. I was only about .5 miles out from home so I sat and waited for half hour for it to cool. I started it back up and got it home and started my investigation. I let the car sit over night to make sure it was completly cooled down before checking coolant levels. Low and behold my coolant was exteremly low, not empty but low. I put some extra coolant in that I had and turned the car on and let it idle so I could check for leaks. I didn't notice any leaking, besides my oil which im still dissapointed about, so I was really confused to how my coolant dissapeared. I could still smell burning coolant but couldnt figure out why. Then after about 20 min of idle, the temp gauge still in the middle, I started seeing white smoke coming from around the fire wall near the driver side. I turned the car off let the smoke clear and saw that a hose popped off from where it was supposed to be connected. Further research led me to believe that these hoses went to the heater core. So my diagnosis of the problem of my overheating engine and burning coolant comes down to this hose not being connected, am I right? I could smell coolant because these hoses transport coolat to the heater core but because of the disconnection it was escaping, lowering my coolant levels as well as letting me be able to smell it? If this is the case I would be much more happy because it seems like an easy fix. And if it is the problem then should I connect the hose myself, drain all the old ccolant and refill/bleed the system, or can I just add more coolant to the radiator till its back to full?

I could be completly wrong and this could not be the problem at all and that why I am asking you guys for your expertise. Let me know what you think, thanks!!!
cjreed92 is offline   Reply With Quote