View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
I just love my 318ti

Dear ya'll,
Thanks for sending the Cali roof files. The instructions were a little different than for my BMW. It is the German model and made slightly different than the pictures in the articles. The articles did, however, give me enough clues that I was able to correctly size-up the situation and get the roof opening and closing again perfectly. I know you guys probably fix things properly but sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.
Tools and materials-dremel, electrical tape, metal tabs from inside an old battery operated shoe polisher, cigarette lighter, needle nose pliers. Cost to get it working-zero!
When I find and can afford the correct replacement parts, I know how to fix it back properly. I now know the plug that bears the green and black wires should not be removed from the motor. It has metal tabs that are soldiered to the motor connectors. The roof motor with wires intact is easily removed by removing 2 screws and then it is easy to reinsert wires back into the switch assembly. If for some reason you simply must remove the soldiered plug, there is a round silicone window in the motor housing adjacent to where the interior connection/plug tabs make contact. You can access the area through these holes to desoldier for removal, soldier to replace or just check for proper contact. This is how mine is put together-maybe it was rigged already? Best you just leave that plug alone unless you break off the metal tabs like my neighbor, the mechanic, did. For now-my Cali roof works! The velcro is holding the interior cover that houses the switch-for now. Sometimes life is good! If only it weren't raining....
I just love my 318ti is offline   Reply With Quote